While it often sounds like a cliche, the best way to stop dental problems is by preventing them from happening in the first place. That means keeping regular bi-annual dental checkups and cleanings with Mid Wilshire Dentistry and adhering to the following preventative dental care practices so you can maintain good oral hygiene.
How Can I Maintain Good Oral Hygiene?
- Brush correctly, and do it twice a day: You should be brushing twice a day (in the morning and at night before going to bed). This removes plaque, which can damage your gums, teeth, and/or surrounding bone. Since toothbrushes come in all shapes and sizes, make sure to choose one that fits your mouth comfortably enough that you’ll actually use it. Proper brushing technique means putting the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to your gum line and brushing in short back and forth strokes. And make sure to get all the surfaces of your teeth (not just the visible ones), as well as your tongue.
- Floss: Flossing should be done twice a day as well. While flossing is commonly forgotten in a daily routine, it gets rid of plaque and particles of food that can fester disease and cavities in the hard to reach spaces between your teeth.
- Be smart with what you eat: Everyone knows that sugar can lead to tooth decay, but it’s not the sugar that does the damage, but rather a buildup of plaque. Sugar is simply an enabler, stimulating plaque to release acid into your mouth that eats away at tooth enamel. But it’s not only sweets that you should be wary of. Starchy foods that stick in your teeth, such as potato chips, invite bacteria to grow that can threaten your oral health.
- Schedule Regular Check-ups: Sometimes you need a professional. When you come in for your check-up at Mid Wilshire Dentistry, we’ll check each of your teeth individually, as well as your gum line, and take images of your teeth — all to ensure there are no diseases or infections in your mouth. If everything looks good, we’ll proceed with a professional cleaning of your teeth and gums, and potentially give you a fluoride treatment or recommend other standard preventative procedures on a case-by-case basis.
It’s Your Time
Preventative dental care includes both what you do every day and what we do during your bi-annual checkups. If you follow these guidelines, there’s a much higher chance that your trips to Mid Wilshire Dentistry will be pleasant ones.
- Dental Anxiety
- Oral Hygiene Basics
- Other Services
- Cosmetic Dental Services
- Dental Center
- Dental Office
- Dental Procedures
- Dental Services
- Find a Dentist in Los Angeles, CA
- Find the Best Dentist in Los Angeles CA
Back to top of Preventative Dental Care.